Monday, July 7, 2014

Still the Land of the Free

image shared from http://dedicatedtoheroes.blogspot.com/2012/07/declaration-of-independence-gift-that.html

I am an American.  That means I'm free... just like everybody else on this planet.

Freedom is a gift from God to all humankind.  It is not granted by the constitution, although it is protected by it, and it cannot be taken away, although man may be oppressed.  It is the birthright of all who are born into the human family, regardless of their nationality, creed, age, gender or lifestyle preferences.  All of God's children are absolutely, irrevocably, unequivocally and eternally free.

But as an American, I enjoy another precious gift - one that not all the human family can claim.  It is a gift that has been purchased at great cost, and continues to be paid for at great cost even today.  It is what many call "freedom", but it is more correctly termed "protection".  I speak of the protection guaranteed to the citizens of this country which prevents the government from retaliating against them for exercising their God-given liberty within the bounds of the law.  And thanks to the wisdom of our forefathers and the inspiration of The Almighty, the bounds of the law are prevented from ever eroding past certain limits by the articles and amendments of the United States Constitution, as long as we have the courage to hold true to it. 

This means I can exercise my freedom to worship God or to deny Him; to praise Him or to blaspheme Him, and I do not have to answer to my government (or its agencies) for it.  I can criticize, curse and complain about my elected officials, or I can pray for them.  I have an equal voice with all other citizens in their selection, and if I want, I can choose to remain silent.  I can decry and abhor the evils and injustices of the world I live in, or I can work to change them.  I can arm myself for my own protection and the protection of others, or I can put my faith in the officers of the land to maintain my safety and that of my family and neighbors.  I can strive for exceptionalism, or I can seek to become more like everybody else.   In all these things I am accountable to none but God and to my own conscience.  I am protected from the oppression of my government.

And for this, all I can say is: God bless the land of the free, and may it ever be the home of the brave!

No comments: