Monday, February 18, 2019

Transfer 6, Week 5: We Almost Froze

Hey Everyone,
     This week has been bitter and very cold. It has been really crazy. I don't know if anywhere else got hit pretty bad, but I'll just say that is cold. It has been in the negatives longer than above zero. Brr. But it isn't supposed to let up for at least another week, so we're not letting it stop us either. 
     Something that has been pretty impressive are the snow drifts. I think I mentioned last week how there were 6-8 ft snow drifts in the middle of the road. Those are impressive, but it makes sense because the plows just push all the snow into the middle of the road. You need to understand that we only have about 4-6 inches in areas that didn't drift. What is most impressive are the drifts are not man made (plowed). This one member's house that we went to has 3-4 foot drifts littering his driveway. Making it an impassible barrier. 
     This week we had exchanges with the Dillion Elders. It was really fun. On the way to meet them, we were behind a semi truck the whole way, because he was kicking up so much that we couldn't even think to pass him. Even though it was clear outside, we felt like we were in the middle of a blizzard. We couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of us. But anyway, I went to Dillion and Elder Eveleth came to Sheridan. It was pretty good. Elder Herring and I spent the day trying to contact a bunch of people, and we got ice cream. It was quite the fun day. 
     So, Missionaries, at least Elders, have dumb ways to track how long they've been out. One tradition is to burn stuff. For example, burning a tie, shirt, or old pair of slacks at their 6, 12,18 month marks. Well, as all of you probably know. I am well beyond my 6 month mark, but I haven't burned my tie yet. Well, we did so this week with Elder Eveleth who passed his 6 month mark about 2 weeks ago. I had bought a 25 cent tie at a good will a few months back, and now it's no more. It was quite impressive.
     On Friday, we started the day with a breakfast at a member's house, then we did some service for them and helped out around the farm. It was a lot of fun. Soon afterwards, we rushed home to change our clothes and go to Kris's house for our lesson. It was a great lesson where we talked about the Book of Jacob and Kris brought up choosing a date to be baptized. So he is now on date. 
     The rest of the week kind of slumped. We made plans to try many many people. But most of the plans ended up falling through, so that was a little frustrating. 
     For Everyone's information, My email will be changing tomorrow to Jacob.Sherwood@missionary.org. I don't know why. All mail sent to my current one wll be forewarded to me. 
     Overall, Life is freezing Cold, but great out here in Whitehall and Sheridan Montana. There are a lot of exciting times ahead, and I can't wait to see how the next week will treat us. I hope everyone is staying warm, and safe. 

Love,
Elder Sherwood

Pictures:

An awesome picture I found
Going through the fields
The field
Elder Barlow and I on a snow drift.
Exchanges with Elder Herring
The temperature

No comments: