Tuesday, June 12, 2018

A New Chapter Begins

Well, The MTC experience is almost over. In only a few short hours, we, Elder Allen and I, will get on the bus headed toward the Salt Lake international airport. It's hard to believe that it has already been 3 weeks since I arrived. I am going to miss it here, but I also know that it will be awesome out in the field.  For sake of time, and I mean, I have under an hour to write today, I will just be sending one giant email, Sorry Amy.
    This past week has been pretty crazy for me. It felt like all we ever did was teach. All day long, it was teaching experience, after teaching experience, but I guess that's what it's going to be like in the field, so no complaints. It was a long week of many exciting people and learning.
     One of the greatest parts of the week was the Tuesday night devotional. We had the privilege to hear from a general authority. Guess Who... Elder Gong. It was an amazing feeling from the get go. We had no idea we going to get to hear from one of the quorum of the twelve. You could feel the spirit spike really hard as soon as he came into the room. It was the most outstanding experience of my entire stay here at the MTC. We learned a lot about names, and what and how we should think because we are wearing Christ's name on our chests. 
     This week I was so happy when the new district came in on Wednesday. All their bright and shiny faces really made my day a whole lot happier. We got to meet them Wednesday night like normal, and found out a little bit more about them. I was so happy to hear that 6 new elders were going to come into our little branch/Zone. Priesthood has been so lonely the past few weeks with only 4 people in class, including branch presidency. There were also 6 additional sisters that came into our zone this week. Making our Zone have almost 30 missionaries in it. That was so awesome. But I can't imagine what it will be like in August. There are about 1100 missionaries here now. President Webb says that by August, there will be more like 2700 missionaries going through the MTC. That is crazy. I have no idea where they would fit all those people. 
      I still feel like I am dying on the inside, because my cough just won't go away. We went to the Health Center, and got me some drugs last Tuesday, so I have been on them for about a week, and most of the symptoms are gone, but the cough still lingers. Ugh. 
     By the way, Thank you all for the package. I absolutely loved it. Between the letters from you and the snacks, and most importantly the music. I have loved having these here to work with. I will treasure them always, and will reply personally as soon as I can. I have loved having the letters and prayers from all of you. The music has already played a crucial role in helping me feel the spirit at all times here this past week. I love music, and the ability it has to enlarge the chance for the spirit to enter into our lives. You never know how much you miss good music, until you have to play efy music for 2 weeks straight to study with.
     I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well, Including the chickens :( . I heard a lot about The Harr's booth at pony express days. I hope it went well. I know that you have put a lot of work into young living. It looks like a well set up event, and great time for you. 
     There has been something on my mind all week, that I feel that you all need to hear. This past week we watched a film by Elder Bednar about called "Recognizing The Spirit" in it he spoke on our need to listen to the spirit. But most of the time people just wait around for a miracleous spiritual prompting to do anything. We most likely won't understand that the spirit is prompting us in the moment. But we just need to act on any feelings we have. That is the only way the spirit will speak to us. We will not get them if we just sit. To quote Elder Bednar, "If your wondering whether or not the spirit is speaking to you, Quite worrying about it. Just get to work." This really impressed me with a combination of another talk we listen to a while ago by Bednar entitled "Character of Christ". (neither of which these talks can be found outside the MTC) In which Bednar challenges the missionaries to search for the book of Mormon from cover to cover, searching for a principle they want to learn more about. So in turn I want to extend that invitation to all of you. ***** Think of a question that you have. Write it down, Then read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover, highlighting EVERY instance of the principle pertaining to the question you have. AND keep a journal of what you learned in each session of reading, and I promise you, that you will find and learn more about that principle than you have ever before. I urge you to involve the spirit by praying for guidance before and after each time time you read, and God will reveal what you need to know. I know, because I have felt this as I have begun to do this asking how I can increase my faith in Christ.***** It is amazing what you will learn when you earnestly study for an answer. I also encourage this for anyone who needs any sort of direction in their lives. It will help a lot.

I love you all,
Elder Sherwood

p.s. Just so you know, I have a plan on doing that challenge That I mentioned in the email my self, pretty often, and I will probably be sending hopefully a Full Book of Mormon and Journal home about every 2-3 months. I'll let you know when, but I may need help getting a new journal for each time through the BOM. Thanks

  And now for more pictures:

Elder Allen, Me, Sister Clark (my cousin) and her companion
Our zone











No comments: