Friday, April 10, 2020

Transfer 16, Week 5: The Sealing of a Testimony by Sweat

Hey Everyone,  
        I can't tell you how hard it is to be writing this email at the moment.  I doubt that I am spiritually prepared to do this, but that doesn't remove the need to complete this task. It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce once more that this letter will be the final weekly update that you will recieve from me as a missionary. Yes, after almost 23 months of service, and due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I am to return home on this upcoming Saturday, April 11th 2020.
         That being said recently my mind has been reflecting on these last 23 months, and what I could say to my "Followers", (Friends, Family, and many others) of the journey I've been on. Plus add to the fact that General Conference has been this week, and the focus on the Restoration of the Church started 200 years ago. It has caused me to focus my studies, and reflect on that as well.
         Throughout the Church's cannon of Scripture, there are several accounts of people Sealing up their testimonies to God. Abinadi,  in Mosiah 17,  and Joseph Smith, in our day, are both good examples of Sealing their testimonies by their blood. Others like Moroni Sealed his testimony with the plates, after witnessing his whole nation be massacred. And now, I have the responsibility to Seal the Testimony of my mission at the end as I prepare to return home.
         Throughout my mission, I have witnessed far too many Miracles to name, whether in my own life, or the lives of those I've served around. The light of Christ has blossomed in abundance, and his love is shown forth through the effort of His children as they serve in their respective callings, and ministered to their fellow neighbor. My Soul has grown and the desire to continue to serve Him for the rest of my life only becomes stronger by the day.
         Through the time spent reflecting upon the words and deeds of those whose aim it was to strengthen me, I feel that I have come to know my Savior better, whether through the time spent studying, or that of learning through His divinely appointed servants. I have come to know that Christ lives, and understand His atonement on a much more powerful level than I had ever imagined previously. And, to add to all of that, through following the example of those before me, and taking on commitments laid out by prophets time and time again, The love of God and the relationship I have with Him is something I will always hold dear. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
         Now to all of you who want to stay in contact with me after April 11th. I have thought about it a lot, and this is what I've decided. To stay in contact with me, I provide you with 3 options:
      
1. Email through the email, j.sherwood1820@gmail.com
2. phone or text at (385) 225-6511 (this may be subject to change)
3.  through my mission Facebook profile. (I will merge my old one into my mission account soon)

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve with and around each one of you, and I thank you for that. So from Billings Montana for the final time. I must say adieu. 

With love,
Elder Sherwood

One final picture of the Final Trio:

1 comment:

marymelodi said...

Beautiful thoughts and testimony. All I can think of is the boy who kept me from being lonely in Sacrament ?Meeting some years ago. No one else has ever filled that spot on the pew or in my heart I suppose I feel a small measure of the pride your parents and grandparents feel regarding you honorable, faithful service. I think I’ve read nearly all your updates and enjoyed them so much. After a visit to Glacier National Park a few years ago I decided ?Montana would be a wonderful retirement location and your stories only support my high opinion. Well, now to move on in life. I pray every blessing will descend on you and that whatever you choose In life, you’ll be able to keep this strong testimony living and growing. Nothing else Is greater than a close bond with our Heavenly Parents and dear, Savior, Jesus Christ. Although we may never meet again in mortal life I hope you’ll remember Fairport Ward and Sister Ward with fondness and carry our faith in you as a strengthening influence in tough times. You always have someone in the wide world who thinks you are among the best of men. Glad you grew up good!

Blessings always, Sister .Mary Ward, Fairport, New York